Google Analytics Integration Setup and Troubleshooting
AVANSER's Google Analytics integration pushes ‘call conversions’ into GA as offline events. The call events are considered as offline because the act of calling a business is an offline action, i.e. not an online click or browse etc. which could be recorded by the analytics platform. The main benefit the integration brings is the match between the online interactions (web session) with the offline call (details of the call which resulted from the web click).
Preparing the integration with Google Analytics
The Google Analytics tracking ID (UA number) used on the website has to be provided for AVANSER to set up the integration. All tracked calls are pushed into the Google Analytics (GA) account as Events (Behavior -> Events). An Event has four fields available:
- Event Category
- Event Action
- Event Label
- Event Value
The default Event Category name set is "AVANSER Call Tracking", however this can be customised to another name upon request (e.g. "Broadbean Digital Call Tracking"). By default the Event Action will be the Ad source name of the tracking number, and the Event Label will be the status of the calls. Most of these fields can be customised upon request.
Finding the call data within Google Analytics
The tracked calls are individually pushed as Events (under Behavior) into Analytics, with the event category, action and label set as per above. The Google Client ID (user session identifier) is also pushed along with the Event, which allows Google to match the Event to a session. This means secondary dimension information such as web location, source/medium, device etc. is available.
NOTE: By default, AVANSER events are considered interaction events which means they do affect bounce rates, lowering them. This can be changed upon request so the events will be non-interaction events, causing them to not affect bounce rates.
Creating goals for reporting in Google Analytics
You can set goals for your call conversions based on the above Event Category using the below steps. You will need Admin access to the GA account to create the goals.
- Click: Admin > View > Goals > Create new "Event" based Goal (with custom goal set-up).
- Goal details - Set the Event Category equal to the value defined in the preparation step above.
- You can leave the Event Action and Label values blank for the goal.
- Save the goal.
After creating the goal, all unique calls will be goal conversions and completions. Conversions & calls through paid search can be further imported into Google Ads.
- Call Events not being received - Are you using multiple Google Analytics tags on-site? This is not a recommended implementation by Google and is not supported by AVANSER's Dynamic Code. As a result, the Events may be attributing to one of the other Analytics IDs. Check your other accounts to confirm if the Events have been received.
- Mismatched calls and Events count - Check the date range being looked at in GA and confirm it is also the selected date range in the AVANSER Customer Portal. That call count should match the total Events pushed for the range. Note that Goals measure unique conversions (callers) only, so the Goal conversion count will always be less than the total number of Events (calls).
- No Goal conversions measured - Goals need to be configured as per the steps above. If there are no Goal conversions it could be due to incorrect Goal criteria, hence check the Goal configuration to make sure that the values measured are exactly the same as the Event values themselves (no extra spaces, case sensitive, correct spelling etc.).
- Incorrect Attribution - Ensure the click precedence is not affecting the attribution. More information on Google Cookie click attribution can be found here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl#processing
Integrations: Google Analytics
Integration has to be configured in Customer Portal. This article will guide you through the configuration of Google Analytics Integration. Before proceeding this article, consider migrating to Google Analytics 4. About Google Analytics 4 On October ...
Integrations: Google Analytics 4
Integration has to be configured in AVANSER Customer Portal. AVANSER integration is fully compatible with Google Analytics 4 and all of our services will continue to work without any issue. Dynamic Numbers solution will automatically detect the ...
Integrations: Google Analytics - Set Up Conversions
Login into your Google Analytics dashboard, in the top bar, select the account you want to link the integration to. Once selected, click on Admin on the left sidebar. How do I select what Account and Property I want to report to? When accessed the ...
Integrations: Google Ads - Set Up Conversions
This article will guide you through the configuration of Google Ads. You will need to create a Conversion Action within Google Ads. This conversion will be used for attribution. Navigate to https://ads.google.com/ and login with your Google ...
Integrations: Google Ads
This article will guide you through the configuration of Google Ads. In order to use Google Ads reporting, you'll have to configure Google Ads Dashboard to collect the Conversions sent by AVANSER. Follow its dedicated Knowledge Base article available ...